You did more than you think.
I'd often complain about how much writing I didn't get to do. How I had a writers' block and I wish I didn't let my day job get in the way of my passion.
But looking back, I DID A LOT this year.
What I wrote this year:
1. Several drafts of my play Delivery happened this year. Thanks to the incredible folks like Manuel, Ann Pittman Zarate, Nan, Liz (at the HBMG National Playwrights Retreat in Colorado), Liz from the Alley Theatre, Raymond (writer bestie), Stephen (Houston's dopest director!) and the all beautiful actors who breathed life into the characters, offered feedback and worked with me. Thank you to Scriptworks for the developmental grant. And a special shout-out to North Forest High School the place and students that inspired the play.
2. I wrote several short plays including Queens of Little Africa, Midgets and Digits (thanks Noah Martin for letting me be a part of 14/48 Festival. I love it every year. Shoutout to Jorge for always making sure I have a comfy and productive night to write these plays) AND I wrote a short for the Austin One Minute Play Festival.
3. I wrote my first short film, Lala and Lalo, thanks to Nasir and completed a television pilot that I'm pretty sure Ja'Michael and I will star in one day.
4. I finished 2 One-Acts called Felices de Los Cuarto and 99 Problems and Yoeslan Ain't One. Thanks to Caridad Svich's course.
5. Oh, I also wrote first drafts of two full-lengths: The Breathe Before the Jump and Yema, Yosi and Timely Things.
6. Not to mention 12 months of morning pages.
7. I even started my own writing coach business where I worked with dope creatives to help them write their dope stories.
Productions: 2 (Austin One Minute Play Festival and 14/48 Festival)
Residencies: 1 (National Playwrights Retreat)
Grant: 1 (The Scriptworks Developmental Grant)
Invitations to Speak/Workshop: 2 (University of Texas-RGV Panel on Afrolatinx stories and Workshop for Dr. Marci McMahon's course! and the Women of Color Panel at Texas State University)
Readings: 2 (One in Creede Colorado at the Playwrights Retreat and another in Houston, Texas directed by Stephen Miranda)
Workshops and classes taken: 3 Caridad Svich's Playwriting course where I wrote a draft of Felices de los Cuarto, Fuenteco (where I came up with Lala and Lalo) and Writers of Color class with Adrienne Perry.
Performances: 2 (Invited to perform at the Fuenteco showcase and Writers of Color Showcase)
Research trips: 1 (Mexico City where I wrote Felicies de los Cuarto)
Personal Retreats: 1 (Where I wrote a crap draft of Yema, Yosi and Timely things)
Writers groups: Had one meeting of Black Women Writers, wrote with Fuenteco and started writing regularly with Nick, Sophia and Elizabeth (Love them).
Regret: Not going to the Spanish writing workshop because I was scared.
Shout out to writing circles, writers groups and Skype/phone sessions with folks like Raymond and Héctor. Thank you to everyone in my circle for the love and support. I truly couldn't have done it without you. Shout out to God who set it all up. #amwriting